Did you miss the last Research Day? Here’s what happened.
On April 9, 2018, the 26th annual Research Day was held at the IUPUI Campus Center to celebrate the hard work done throughout the academic year. The event included a ceremony to award 15 distinguished faculty and students, with keynote speaker Dr. Raul Garcia from Boston University’s Henry M. Goodman School of Dental Medicine. Following the ceremony, there were 53 poster presentations and 23 clinical case reports available for attendees to learn more about current research in the field of dentistry.
The faculty awards presented by Dean John Williams included:
- The IU School of Dentistry Distinguished Faculty Award for Teaching, presented to Dr. Neil Pinney
- The IU School of Dentistry Distinguished Faculty Award for Research, presented to Dr. Richard Jackson
- The King Saud University Distinguished Research Faculty Travel Award, presented to Dr. Richard Gregory
The awards given to dental hygiene, undergraduate, predoctoral, and graduate dental students were presented by Dr. Frank Lippert, president of the Indiana section of the American Association of Dental Research. Students were awarded for their outstanding contribution to the school’s research mission.
- Jennifer Wu and Patrick McIntyre received the prestigious Cyril S. Carr Research Scholarship, our highest research award. Jennifer and Patrick both worked under the guidance of Dr. Angela Bruzzaniti for their projects.
- The American Dental Association/Dentsply International Student Clinician Award was presented to Alec Willard, mentored by Dr. Tien-Min Gabriel Chu.
- Ashley Kaaraczewski received the King Saud University Travel Award for Excellence in Preventive Oral Health Care under the guidance of mentor Dr. Jeffrey Platt.
- The ASDA IU School of Dentistry Student Research Group Award, sponsored by INAADR, was awarded to Reed McKinney with Dr. Richard Gregory as his mentor.
- Ella Hicks was awarded the IN-AADR Undergraduate Student Award for her project, “Osteoclast Differentiation is Inhibited by Neutrophin-4,” with her mentor Dr. Angela Bruzzaniti.
- The King Saud University Ph.D. Student Travel Award was presented to Dawn Wagenknecht for her project “Nicotine Increases Streptococcus mutans Biofilm and Arginine Negates the Effect.” Dawn worked with Dr. Richard Gregory as her mentor.
- King Saud University also sponsored an award for Best Clinical Case Report, given to Dr. Apoorv Goel, an M.S.D. periodontics resident.
- Marisa Cornewell and Eryn Johnson were awarded the Elizabeth A. Hughes Dental Hygiene Award.
- The Maynard K. Hine Award for Excellence in Dental Research was awarded to Grace Gomez, mentored by Dr. Richard Gregory.
- The Delta Dental Award for innovation in Oral Care Research was presented to Dr. Jennifer Chang, an M.S.D. Periodontics resident, mentored by Dr. Yusuke Hamada.
Poster presentations and exhibits
Upon completion of the awards ceremony, students had the opportunity to listen to poster presentations in the many rooms designated for presentations. Additionally, students had the chance to meet with sponsors and interact with vendors, including Delta Dental Foundation, Johnson & Johnson, Procter & Gamble, Crest, Indiana Dental Association, Colgate, Dentsply International, and many more.
Research Day 2018 at the IU School of Dentistry was a huge success and it has, as always, shown the true spirit of our dental community’s involvement in research. We hope to continue this rich tradition throughout the years and thank you for making this event as impactful as possible.