The IU School of Dentistry’s Office of Research seeks to improve the oral health of Indiana’s citizens as well as the broader national and world community by advancing knowledge through discoveries and improvements focused on the prevention and cure of dental disease and the maintenance of health.
Our mission is to foster, enhance and promote high quality research within the Indiana University School of Dentistry. Through its support of high-quality research, the Office of Research will assist the school with meeting its mission goals of excellence in patient care, education, research, and community service as well as expanding the financial base in support of basic science research.
Improve the quality and increase the quantity of research within the IU School of Dentistry in the following areas:
- Basic science
- Translational research
- Clinical trials
- Epidemiology/outcomes research
We facilitate research by providing administrative support to all School of Dentistry faculty and students and ensure compliance with all relevant internal and external policies and regulations.
- We develop resources and systems for faculty, departments, and centers and programs in the conduct of laboratory and human investigation.
- We oversee compliance review board submissions, including informed consent preparation and regulatory documentation preparation and maintenance.
- We provide grant assistance such as proposal preparation, budget development, proposal submissions, and post-award guidance, electronic proposal download, and submission.
- We manage industrial relations.
- We assist with electronic proposal download, preparation, and submission.
- We handle account management and reporting.
We foster growth in basic, laboratory, and clinical research and build new areas of collaboration with basic, laboratory, and clinical scientists by establishing an industrial relations unit to present our broad capabilities to biotechnology and pharmaceutical companies as well as state and federal agencies and private foundations.
- We facilitate faculty communication to further enhance School of Dentistry research capabilities and translational collaborative work within the university, other state institutions, foundations, and corporations.
- We market School of Dentistry capabilities and identify funding sources.
We provide an effective interface between investigators and university administration:
- IU Office of Research Administration (proposal submission, contract negotiation, financial oversight, material transfer, and confidentiality agreements)
- Innovation and Commercialization Office (intellectual property issues, etc.)
- IUPUI Vice Chancellor for Research
- IU Office of Clinical Research
- IU Office of Research Compliance (human subjects and IRB, animal care, biosafety, conflict of interest, export control, research integrity)
We develop and conduct clinical research educational programs for investigators, coordinators and support staff, including graduate and undergraduate students.