To be eligible to apply to the B.S.D.H. program, you must:
- Have a cumulative college GPA of at least 2.7 (on a 4.0 scale).
- Complete all prerequisite coursework by the end of the spring semester of the year in which you wish to enter the program. You must complete your prerequisite coursework at IUPUI or another college or university— there is no direct admission to the B.S.D.H. program for high school students.
- Earn a grade of C or higher in all prerequisite courses. All courses must have letter grades; no pass/fail courses are accepted.
- Have a GPA of at least 3.0 in these prerequisite courses: chemistry of life, human anatomy, human physiology, and microbiology with immunology. All required science courses must have been completed within the past five years. Note: An applicant may repeat any prerequisite course one time and the higher grade will be used in GPA calculations considered for entrance to the B.S.D.H. program.
- Complete a minimum of eight hours of observation of licensed dental hygienists in two different private practice settings.
The Dental Hygiene Admissions Committee uses a holistic review process to select a diverse group of qualified applicants for admission to the B.S.D.H. program. The committee will consider your academic record, personal interview, and exposure to the field of dental hygiene, as well as your motivation, character, personality, and ethics.
When reviewing your academic record, the Dental Hygiene Admissions Committee will consider your cumulative GPA, your science prerequisite GPA, your prerequisite GPA, and whether you have satisfactorily completed all prerequisite coursework.
The School of Dentistry does not give preference to IU graduates.